5-word questions to help us. Let's diagnose why we are doing what we do. What we are doing about the subject, when we will put into play the plan, where we have determined to put it into play and finally, how we will put it into play.
Look at the 5-word questions and answer the #1 question in the positive. All else rest on this understanding.
· Why do we see value in the subject?
1. Is it worth investing my time and energy, and resources in?
Are we intentional about God, family, and the generations that follow us?
· What am I willing to do, to bring about the desired results?
· When will I implement what I am willing to do?
· Where will I implement what I am willing to do?
· How will I implement what I am willing to do?
Looking at the overall structure and routine in our homes do we place God at the center and allow everything to flow from the core principles of God’s Truth?
When Jesus was asked to identify the core of all that is important to God, he said this:
Matthew 22:36-40 (NKJV)
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
If this is the standard of pleasing God must apply these 2 principles to every area of life and home.
We have horizontal relationships and vertical relationships. Neither can be isolated from the other.
Certainly, Jesus taught that vertical relationship with God would affect horizontal relationships with others and that the reflection of our horizontal relationship would be a pretty good indicator of where we are in vertical surrender to God.
How does all this apply regarding current challenges and how does this apply to the future of my family?
Use the mirror challenge and ask 3 questions:
1. Do I know and reflect God to my family?
2. Do I teach my family how to know God?
3. Do I accept the fact that I am the spiritual leader in my home?
Turning a corner and applying the 5 words questions to help develop our family core structure.
Last week we talked about Redeeming the Time by:
1. Developing a plan and
2. Working the plan
We have just spent the last few minutes asking why we need a plan; we have placed value on the purpose of the plan. We have decided to use the 5-word questions as a gage and the method to implement the plan.
· Think and apply scripture
· Speak and Memorize scripture
· Pray scripture
Look at today’s scripture 1 Peter 1:22 (NLT) as a litmus test for our 5-word questions.
1 Peter 1:22 (NLT)
22 You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. Love each other deeply with all your heart.
1 Peter 1:22 (NLT)
22 You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, (why we are responding to scripture)
so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters. (what you do because you value scripture)
Love each other deeply with all your heart. (How you respond to scripture) Whole heartedly!
1. Why- answered
5. How- answered
Using our target questions numbers 3 and 4 are still unanswered.
They will be answered naturally at the time of implementation through intentional conversation. By engaging scripture as a family devotional or evening reading or mealtime table talk.
What have we accomplished in this exercise have we met our goals?
· We have spoken the scripture to our families and engaged them in conversation by expressing curiosity about scriptures and their meaning as well as their personal application to our lives and family.
· We have equipped our families because they know where to find the scripture for further study or reference.
· We have made it easier to memorize the scripture because it is broken down and understandable.
· We have placed God’s word in the center of our families and created an understanding of them. We can pray scripture because we understand what God says and we see the value of God in our vertical and horizontal relationships.
Church Of God
13352 Goodland St
Dallas, TX 75234
Or use our contact form.
Like us on Facebook @
Farmers Branch Church of God